Toll-free numbers (newest and most promising)
Toll-free numbers is our latest solution on offer. Toll-free numbers are usually used when you need a vanity number, e.g. 1-800-flowers, and might be great for branding. The bigger value here is they offer the power and flexibility of dedicated short codes but at a fraction of the cost.
The cost of a toll-free number is equal to 250 messaging credits. This works out to be about $4-$6/ number depending on your plan. Compare this to a dedicated short code that costs $15k/year—and we’ve already discussed how shared short codes are not great, even if you are splitting the costs with hundreds of users.
One of our workarounds currently allows us to reprocess failed messages using a 1-way, toll-free number we auto-assign to your account for free. However, this new option goes beyond this.
A few churches had previous bought toll-free, 2-way, vanity numbers from an external vendor and ported them over to PastorsLine.
That’s still an option, but we have made adding a toll-free number easy for you to do.
Let me walk you through how to add toll-free numbers to your account.
1. First, after signing into your PastorsLine account, click on your profile name. In the drop down box which opens, click on Numbers.
2. Click on Get an additional #. (The cost is 250 credits per toll-free number per month.)
3. To search for a toll-free number:
- Click on the Country desired.
- Click on Number (not Location).
- For Type, click on Toll-Free.
- Click Search. A list will populate. You can refresh to get another page of results.
NOTE: To search for a toll-free ‘vanity’ number (with text included such as the keywork ‘GRACE’), type the keyword you wish to look for in the blank. Then, in MATCH TO, click on the position in which you wish this keyword to appear.
At the moment, we do not have a lot of vanity toll-free numbers on offer, so it is likely that there will be no search results returned.
In that case, your best bet is to purchase a vanity, toll-free number from an outside vendor, and transfer it to us. This HelpDesk item has several toll-free services as well as how to transfer.
4. Click on the number you want to use. Complete the information required (account, nickname). Then, click on Activate Number.
5. Complete the process as with any additional number: Set up your call forwarding, voicemail, and personalized greetings on the next screen. Click Continue or Skip this step (going back later as desired).
6. You can now view and edit your phone number in the Numbers screen (refer back to Step 1).