Here is how you can create a guest follow up workflow from A-Z!
First, you want to create group with keyword and data capture.
To create a new group in PastorsLine and set up a Data capture (FKA autoresponder) at the same time:
1. Click on "Groups" in the far left menu.
2. Then click on "New Group".
3. Follow the prompts and enter in your new group's information, including the name of the new group.
4. Click "Add keyword"
5. Next, choose the phone number you want to connect to this group. (This is only if you have multiple phone numbers.)
6. Now, you can create the unique keyword you want to use for this campaign.
7. First-time text of keyword: Enter in the message you want the recipient to receive after they text the keyword to your number for the first time.
8. Subsequent texts of keyword for the same subscriber: You can choose to keep the default message in the Already Subscribed Box ‘as is’ or edit it to say whatever you would like.
9. Click "Save and collect more Data". This will bring you to the Data capture editing screen.
Next, you want to edit your data capture.
Editing the Data Capture (FKA Autoresponder) to capture the data needed to create new profiles:
1. Name your campaign. Choose a name that will help you remember what this campaign is for.
2. Double check your first message to make sure it is correct. Then check the ‘already subscribed’ message for people who have already opted in to that group, but texted again—you can keep the default message on the right side ‘as is’ or edit it to say whatever you would like.
3. Next, turn "on" the option to capture their name. Check the ‘first-time text’ and ‘already given name’ messages, choosing to keep ‘as is’ or editing as you wish. Note: For the "already given name" message, We always suggest turning this option on but if you want to skip this step and not have a message sent on this step, delete the message that is there and leave it blank. This step will then be skipped.
4. After that, turn "on" the option to capture their email address. As in Step 3 above, check and edit your ‘first-time text’ and ‘already given email’ messages. You can also choose to use merge fields to insert their first name ,personalizing your message even more. Note: For the "already given email" message, We always suggest turning this option on but if you want to skip this step and not have a message sent on this step, delete the message that is there and leave it blank. This step will then be skipped.
5. This box is where you can edit the last message they will receive from the data capture (FKA autoresponder). Check the ‘already subscribed’ message for people who have already opted in to that group, but texted again—you can keep the default message on the right side ‘as is’ or edit it to say whatever you would like.
6. Click "Save" and you’re done!
*See additional information about the LEFT and RIGHT sides of the data capture HERE.
Last, you need to create the Automated Message Campaign (workflow) for the "follow up" messages you want sent after they have visited.
Here is how to create an Automated message campaign:
1. You can go to the campaigns page and select “Create Automated Messages”
2. Name your campaign something that will be easy to identify the purpose of this campaign.
3. The “Edit Triggers” option allows you to choose how a person is entered into the campaign. They can be entered by texting a keyword, by finishing an auto data capture campaign, or by group.
3a. By keyword means anyone who texts your keyword to your number will be entered into this campaign.
3b. By finishing an auto data capture, that means anyone who goes through a data capture you have set up will be entered into this campaign
3c. By Group means anyone who is added to the group will trigger the campaign. *Please note that anyone who is already in the group will not be added to the campaign. Only NEW people who are added to the group will be.
4. Click “Add New” to add a message.
5. Title you message something that will remind you what that message is for – ex. “1st message sent the Monday after”, or “Thank you for visiting – MONDAY”
5a. If this is the first message you are adding to an AMC, there will be a couple extra fields to select. Choose your "Message type"
5b. Then choose the "Timer settings". This cannot be changed once selected. You can choose either evergreen or date based.
6. Click "SAVE" and you will be taken back to the AMC and a new "step" in the campaign will be added. Click anywhere on the message bar or the Drop down icon on the far right.
7. Next, choose your “From” number. Default will automatically send the message from whichever number they texted into. If you have multiple numbers, you can also choose to send from a different number. You might want to use this if you want this message to be from a designated “guest services” number or a “pastor’s” number.
8. Type in your desired message, and take advantage of using merge fields to personalize your message even more! Also, pay close attention to the "To" person that is selected here.
*The message on the right is for anyone who is already in this automated step. To avoid sending someone the same message multiple times, you have the option to send a different message. You can also turn this on and leave it blank to skip sending a message at all.
9. Choose when you want it to be sent. For date specific campaigns, select the date and time you want the message sent.
For Evergreen, select either "Send After" or "Immediately". Specify the number of days you want the message to wait until it's sent, select Same day, or the desired day of the week, and the time. 0 days means we won’t wait any days, and will send on the next day of the week you chose. The number of days chosen is the number of minimum days we will wait to send your message. The Day of the week is the first day of the week AFTER the number of days you chose to wait. *Message timing is based on the previous step. So message 1 is sent after the person is added to the AMC. Message 2 is sent after message 1 is sent, etc. *For example: If a guest texts your keyword on Sunday, and you want to send a message to them the next day, you would need to put “0” and choose Monday. This tells us you don’t want us to wait ANY days, and you want it to be sent on the FIRST Monday after they texted in. If they didn’t text in until Wednesday, the message would be sent the following Monday.
10. Click “Save” or "Add New" (Both will save the Campaign, Add New just takes you straight into creating the next message)
11. Repeat this process until you have completed your campaign.
Now that your New guest workflow is set up, you are free to test it! If you are not already in the data base, simply text the keyword to your number to see how it works. You can view the scheduled messages and make sure they are set for the right days in the inbox.
If you are in the database, simply go to the contacts page, search for your phone number and delete any profiles associated with that number (these contacts cannot be restored so make sure that is ok). Then you can test the same way described previously.
If you are in the database through one of our integrations, and you want to use your own contact info for testing, follow these steps HERE.
Additional notes and tips:
Remember – Less is more sometimes. The purpose is to CONNECT and build relationships – not to flood them with a bunch of links and forms right away. While inviting and informing is a good thing, we recommend a two-touch process first. The first two messages should be adding value and building the relationship – thanking them for coming and then letting them know you hope to see them again next weekend. They may not be comfortable giving more personal information or know if they want to be plugged in yet.
You can manually add contacts into a automated message campaign. You can add them through the campaign page by clicking this “add contact” icon and searching for their name, or you can add a group of people by searching for a tag or a group. Check out this article HERE for more details!
You can also add people in the inbox by editing their profile on the far right side, searching for and selecting the automated message campaign name OR if your automated message campaign is set up to be triggered by group, you can also add them to that group and then click save on their profile.
We allow you to do multiple things from the main pages like the inbox, contacts page, groups page and the campaigns page in order to reduce the amount of clicking around required to “get the job done”, making it more convenient for you!
You can even add a new contact and drop them straight into an automated message campaign all at the same time, right from the inbox! This could be really powerful for churches who manually enter in names, or have a check in kiosk for new guests!
If your campaign is set up to be triggered by group, you can add people into your campaign by adding the contact (or multiple contacts) to that group. You can add people into groups through the inbox, the contacts page, or the groups page. In the contact page or the groups page, you can select and copy one person at a time, or choose multiple people at once. Check out this article HERE for more information.
One last way a contact or group of contacts can be added into an automated message campaign is through using our integrations. If you have a group or list of people in your Church management software and you sync that group to a group that is set up with an Automated Message campaign, all of those contacts will automatically be put into your campaign.
Once a person has entered your campaign, you can view the scheduled messages in the contact’s conversation box OR you can click the scheduled messages filter (the calendar icon in the inbox), choose "single" and see all of your scheduled messages there.
You can view, edit and delete scheduled messages in the conversation box as well.
One final note: If you make any changes to your Automated Message Campaign (like message, scheduled date or time, etc), after people have already been entered into the process, those changes will NOT be reflected for them. They will only be applied going forward - to anyone NEW to the campaign.