Groups are specialized list fields that let subscribers self-categorize based on interests or preferences using uniform responses you set. Groups can be used for any data you want to collect about a subscriber, like favorite foods, preferred store locations, or anything else you want to know.
In this article, you'll learn two ways to create groups in your lists.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- Groups work best if you need subscribers to self-categorize when they sign up for your list. For internal list organization, consider using tags.
- Group fields can be required on pop-up signup forms, but not on hosted or embedded signup forms. Advanced, paid users can use the Advanced Forms option to custom-code a required group field.
- Group fields appear at the bottom of your list's signup form, because they work different than regular list fields.
- Each list can have up to 60 group names. Group categories don't count toward the 60-group limit.
- You can also use group data to target subscribers who are in a specific group or who are not currently in any group.
Create a Group in Your List
To create a group in your list, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to work with, and choose Manage contacts.
- Click Groups.
- Click Create Groups to expand the group options.
- Choose an option for how the groups will appear on your signup form.
- Type in a Group category and at least one Group name. The Group category is the overall category or theme for your groups, and is visible to subscribers. Create something descriptive, like, "favorite food" and use the Group names to display different options.
- To add more Group names, click Add Group.
- Click Save.
A success message will display with the option to Import To These Groups, or click Done For Now.
Create a Group on Your Signup Form
To create a group in your signup form, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to work with, and select Signup forms.
- Select Form builder.
- Confirm you're on the Build it tab.
- Select the type of group you want— Radio Buttons, Check Boxes, or Drop Down —from the field types on the Add a field menu.
- Click Field settings to set your preferences. Click Add An Option to add as many options as you need.
- Click Save Field.
When you add a Radio Buttons or Drop Down field to a form, it's a regular field by default. To convert the field to a group, click Convert to Groups on the Field settings tab.
This article was taken from MailChimp's help desk. It can be found on their website by clicking HERE.
More helpful articles:
Integration: Mailchimp (setup)
Set up automated email msgs using MailChimp Integration?
Creating A List
Creating A Template
Verify Your Email Domain
My Mailchimp Subscriber is Labeled as "Cleaned"
What are the different types of contacts in MailChimp?