One of the secrets to strong relationships is keeping in touch. Yet, how much new stuff do we have to say on a daily (or even every few days) basis? A way around that is SMS contests.
Most everyone likes winning. It doesn’t even have to be for an actual prize. Just knowing that we won makes us feel good, feel special, feel noticed. Text to Win campaigns keep you in touch with your church members and keep them interested in you.
What could you do?
- ‘Market’ a church workshop series by setting up a relevant, daily Bible question.
- ‘Advertise’ a youth summer camp with several, well-timed, coupon codes for discounts on the cost of the camp.
- ‘Entice’ attendance at a church music event by offering reserved seats to those who text in the ‘secret phrase’.
To create a contest:
- On the Campaigns page, click on Create contest. The Add new contest screen will pop up.
- Complete the information on the screen (messages + keyword) and click SAVE.
You can send your contest to a group or have people text your keyword to a long code (your telephone number or one of your telephone numbers).
To send a contest to a group via their phones:
- On the Contest page, find the line of the contest you want to send. Click on the ‘flying arrow’ icon in the Action section (the leftmost of the three icons). The Send Contest screen will pop up.
- Use the drop down menu to select the group you want to send the contest to. Add a message, choose whether or not to rotate through your multiple long codes (if you have more than one telephone number), and click SAVE. Note: Even though you have clicked ‘SAVE’ it is really ‘SEND’. This is a small error which we need to tweak. Your contest has now been sent to all the contacts in the group you chose.
To have people opt in by texting the keyword to a long code: Tell the people about the contest from the stage during a event, by email, on your church’s Facebook page, or in a brochure / on a poster in the church foyer. Your message will say something like “Text the [KEYWORD] to [888-123-3454] to WIN [this thing]”. You can use one of our free, promo templates here.
To see and acknowledge the winner:
- On the Contest page, find the line of the contest you want to check. Click on the ‘winner’s cup’ icon in the Action section (the rightmost of the three icons). The Contest Winner screen will pop up.
- You will see the winning phone number. This is a random system choice. If you wish, you can change this phone number so that a different person will win. Add a message (Congratulations! You have won. To claim your prize...) and click SAVE. Note: Even though you have clicked ‘SAVE’ it is really ‘SEND’. This is a small error which we need to tweak. Your contest winner has now been notified.
To view your contest results:
Each contest now has its own view. You can filter participants by Entered (took part), Winner(s), and Loser(s).